How To Ruin Your Life • Part 6
Every one of us is looking to someone or something to tell us we’re okay. We want to feel competent, desirable, lovable, acceptable, to have people affirm us and say we are doing all right. So, we make decision after decision that will take us away from our own happiness, our own freedom, our own joy. It is not stolen from us; we ruin our life through the decisions that we make. How can we begin to make the decisions that will bring us all we desire in life?
1. Was there one statement this weekend that really impacted you? Share what that was and how it challenged you.
2. Read 1 Samuel 18:1–9. Why was Saul so angry? What was a circumstance in your own life when you couldn’t resist comparing your situation with those around you? Did your resentment lead you to make poor decisions in the moment?
3. We are bombarded with social media and TV commercials which tempt us to compare what we have (or don’t have) with others. Share when this has happened to you and how you reacted. Looking back, how would you change the course you set yourself upon?
4. Read 1 Samuel 18:14-15. Has there been a time when you compared your successes or failures with those around you? What did that look like?
5. Read Hebrews 12:1. You stop comparing when you focus on your calling. What have you sensed God is calling you to? What steps will you take to aim towards that calling, if you haven’t done so already?
6. Read Hebrews 12:2. How does this verse give you confidence that you CAN have a successful walk with God when your focus is in the right place?