Life Hacks • Part 6
Say What? :: Proverbs 18:21
Our Creator has shaped our hearts and souls to be impacted by the words we speak and the words we hear. There are no such things as neutral words. What effect do your words have on the lives of those you do life with?
1. What is the most popular word in the English language? (Answer: The)
2. Share a time in your past when someone’s words shaped you in a powerful way either positively or negatively.
3. Read Proverbs 18:21. Do you agree with this statement: No matter how many words you speak, every word matters. Why or why not?
4. Read Proverbs 12:22. Be honest in what you say. Is it hard for you to be truthful with your friends or family regarding growth areas in their life? When have you had to share the truth in love even though it hurt to do so?
5. Read Proverbs 10:32 & Proverbs 21:23. If it’s not helpful, then don’t say it. Our words can pour love, joy, comfort and clarity into the lives of the people around you or tear them down. How do you balance the difference between telling the truth and being helpful to the person you're saying it to?
6. Pastor James said, “Just because you feel it, doesn’t mean you have to say it.” Why is this a true statement? How have you experienced this truth in your life?
7. Do you find it easier to make fun or gossip about someone or encourage them? Why? Read Proverbs 16:24. In most relationships we assume appreciation, but express criticism. What would happen in our relationships if we made the choice to encourage someone on a consistent basis?
8. Read Proverbs 12:25 & Proverbs 10:11. Faith must be encouraged. To what degree have you seen this played out in your life? If we're not careful, all we'll do is highlight our problems and those of others. What would happen if we began to communicate to ourselves and others in a way that encourages faith? Do you see opportunities in your daily life to share what God has done for you to encourage others? How can you prepare yourself to take these opportunities?
1. Do you spend more time trying to fix what’s broken in your life rather than appreciating and enjoying what’s good? How can you use your words this week to build yourself and others up?
2. We may hate to admit it but we ALL talk to ourselves. What is a self-condemning thought that has haunted you recently or for years?
3. Can you think of someone who you need to express appreciation to this week?
Life Group Announcements
NEW WEBSITE AND APP | We are happy to announce the Journey will launch its new website on Monday, September 12. You can find our new site at theJourney.cc. Our new site was not only designed to look great, but to make it simple to learn more about our church and how to get connected. Our new Journey App is available for download on all major app stores (Apple, Android, Window and Amazon). Just search for the Journey - Florida. Look for the Journey logo. You can't miss it. You will now be able to watch sermons, view Life Group Questions (under Resources), get information, read stories and articles and give. There are upcoming features that we will be rolling out in the upcoming weeks. We will be able to take notes and email them and move ahead with push notifications. The new app will be a big step in the way we can communicate. Please download and enjoy!
STARTING POINT | Do you know someone who's new to faith, just checking it out, or coming back to church after some time away? Invite them to Starting Point. Starting Point is a nine-week conversational small group environment where they can explore faith and experience community. It’s a place where beliefs and opinions are valued, and where no question is off-limits. | Starting Point Orientations are after each service on both campuses the weekend of September 18/19. The location for the Starting Point orientation in Orange City is the Teaching Room and in the Conference Room on the Sanford campus.
CARE GROUPS | We all have defining moments in our lives—challenging circumstances, relational pain, transitional seasons. How we respond during these times has a direct impact on our futures. Care Groups provide a network of short-term groups that offer helpful resources, encouragement, and advice from someone who understands what you’re going through. With topics on finances, marriage, and divorce these groups offer a fresh perspective on your situation. | Groups start on September 12 on the Orange City campus only | More information: theJourney.cc/groups
ONLINE GIVING | Your financial support and generosity enables us to create the quality environments that you and your family enjoy on a weekly basis, and allows us to reach more people with the Gospel of Jesus Christ. | More information: theJourney.cc/give
PRAYER PARTNERS | We want 200 people to pray for the Journey each week of 2016! Will you take part in the greatest work a body of believers could undertake? Come anytime and stay for whatever fits your schedule. | 1st and 3rd Tuesday of the month | 6:30-8:00 pm | Orange City campus | Would you like serve? Contact Cindy Jacobson by calling 386.775.3500 or emailing CAREnet@theJourney.cc