1. It’s only natural for parents to plan their kids’ story for them. What kinds of plans do parents typically make for their children’s lives? What are the reasons for some of the plans we feel most passionate about for our kids?
2. Read Matthew 22:35-40. What commands did Jesus say are most important for our lives? What does this passage teach us about our purpose in life?
3. Read Genesis 22:17-18. In this passage, God promises Abraham that his descendants would be as numerous as the stars. In what way does God promise his descendants will impact the world around them?
4. Read Matthew 28:19-20. What mission did Jesus give to His followers in this passage?
5. In these three passages, we see that we are created to make a difference in the world around us. What kind of difference does God want our families to make in this broken and hurting world?
6. It’s easy for parents to focus on a story for our children that is not the same as God’s story for them. Why is this so easy to miss as parents? Why is it so important for parents to use their influence to help their children focus on others and not themselves?
7. What are some practical ways for families to connect to God’s story in the world around us? What step is He leading you to take?