Take Initiative :: Proverbs 6
We’ve all made some dumb decisions in our lives. We all have regrets and chapters of our lives where we would like to go back and do things differently. But we cannot go back. We can only go forward. How can we take the initiative to live in God’s wisdom?
1. Think of some poor decisions you made in your past that you wish you could undo. Share with the group.
2. Making wise choices today will lead you to what you ultimately desire in the future. In what areas do you tend to procrastinate the most in your daily life? In your pursuit of Christ?
3. The Book of Proverbs warns us against: "slothfulness, laziness and sluggishness." What is the wisest thing we can begin doing in our lives to initiate change and put an end to apathy and complacency?
4. The urgency of our desires pulls us away from what matters most. What are some practical steps you can take to clear away the delusion of urgency to focus on what's essential? Are there things you need to say no to, in order to say yes to something greater?
5. Proverbs 20:4 reminds us that we don't have to feel like doing something in order to do it. What does focusing on your future and not your feelings mean in your life right now?
6. Read Proverbs 24:3-4. Just like building a house, life takes planning and then the process begins one step at a time. What is your next small step? What will you do with the Lego block this week?
1. What is God speaking to your heart that needs to be the top two priorities in your life?
2. Looking at your goals based on godly wisdom, what needs to be first and second priority on your daily schedule? What are the next wisest steps you need to take to accomplish your goals?
3. What are some of the small, steady investments that you need to aim at in your family, relationships and time with God?
Life Group Announcements
PRAYER PARTNERS | Thanks to everyone who joined us for prayer. Prayer Partners will be taking the month of August off to prepare for fall. We are looking forward to resuming on Tuesday, September 6. Our new schedule is the first and third Tuesday of each month. | 1st and 3rd Tuesday of each month | 6:30-8:00 pm | Orange City Campus | Would you like to serve? Contact Cindy Jacobson by calling 386.775.3500 or emailing CAREnet@theJourneyOC.net
ONLINE GIVING | Your financial support and generosity enables us to create the quality environments that you and your family enjoy on a weekly basis, and allows us to reach more people with the Gospel of Jesus Christ. | More information: theJourneyOC.net/give
HAITI SCHOOL SUPPLIES | As the new academic year begins, we want to remember those in Haiti who are in desperate need of school supplies. Our partnering churches have a deep desire to educate children who would otherwise not be able to attend school. We are proud to say that our Brothers and Sisters in Haiti are changing 1500 children’s lives with the gift of education. It is our hope to support their amazing efforts by shipping bulk school supplies. Every $5 donation will cover all materials needed for one student. To donate or learn more, stop by the Sending Zone or drop your donation in the offering, using the designated envelopes. Together we can make sure our Haiti family has a strong start to the school year! | Throughout the month of August.
STARTING POINT | If you’re new to faith, just checking it out, or coming back to church after some time away, Starting Point is a great first step. Starting Point is a nine-week conversational small group environment where you can explore faith and experience community. It’s a place where your beliefs and opinions are valued, and where no question is off-limits. | Starting Point Orientations are after each service on both campuses the weekend of September 10/11. The location for the Starting Point orientation in Orange City is the Teaching Room and in the Conference Room on the Sanford campus.
CARE GROUPS | We all have defining moments in our lives—challenging circumstances, relational pain, transitional seasons. How we respond during these times has a direct impact on our futures. Care Groups provide a network of short-term groups that offer helpful resources, encouragement, and advice from someone who understands what you’re going through. With topics on finances, marriage, and divorce these groups offer a fresh perspective on your situation. | Groups start on September 19, on the Orange City campus only | More information: theJourneyOC.net/groups