Judging Others :: Matthew 7:1-5
Nobody likes to be judged or criticized. There’s a tension in our culture between people who judge too harshly and those who feel we shouldn’t judge people at all. So where’s the balance? In Jesus’ day it was no different. One day Jesus spoke some powerful words on judging others. To both audiences He stated, “It’s not like that.”
1. Talk about a time when your first impression of a person was wrong. How did what you later learned about that person change your relationship with him or her?
2. Read Matthew 7:1–5. What is one group of people you tend to judge? Why is it so tempting for you to judge them?
3. What would it look like for you to be heartbroken over the sin of the people you identified in the previous question instead of simply judging them? How can their sin help you to recognize your own sin?
4. When you size others up, do you tend to write them off (condemn them) or walk away (avoid their problems)? Why do you think you respond the way you do?
5. Have you been sized up recently but refused to listen and instead wrote the person off as being judgmental? If so, what is one thing you can do this week to listen to the feedback you’ve received and begin to make changes?
1. Who is one person you need to stop writing off or walking away from? What is one thing you can do this week to put aside judgment and love that person? How can this group help and support you?
Life Group Announcements
CHRISTMAS IN JULY | Giving Joy is our annual Christmas Community Outreach to local parents who otherwise might not be able to provide Christmas gifts for their children by hosting a free “shopping” experience including gift wrapping. We are accepting new toy or monetary donations all month long. Please bring your donations to the Sending Zone. Donation suggestions: theJourneyOC.net/givingjoy
PRAYER PARTNERS | We want 200 people to pray for the Journey each week of 2016! Will you take part in the greatest work a body of believers could undertake? Come anytime and stay for whatever fits your schedule. | Every Tuesday | 6:30-8:00 pm | Orange City Campus | Would you like serve? Contact Cindy Jacobson by calling 386.775.3500 or emailing CAREnet@theJourneyOC.net
ONLINE GIVING | Your financial support and generosity enables us to create the quality environments that you and your family enjoy on a weekly basis, and allows us to reach more people with the Gospel of Jesus Christ. More information: theJourneyOC.net/give
TAKE THE 2C CHALLENGE | We're not taking a vacation from our mission this summer! Each week of our upcoming sermon series, It's Not Like That, we have a chance to join with 2C to help those hurting in our communities.
Week 1 | Drop off one new unwrapped toy(s) or monetary donations during the next five weeks for Giving Joy's Christmas in July!
Week 2 | Serve with Blessed Assurance on July 16
Week 3 | Sign up to serve next month with the Bridge or Mobile Ministry
Week 4 | Stop by the Sending Zone to learn more about 2C after the weekend service.
Week 5 | Participate in the Manna Bag "Make & Take" on July 30/31!