It’s Not Like That • Part 2
Picture Perfect • Mark 7:1-23
We all want to look our best. With anything in life we all want to put our best foot forward. We want things to be picture perfect. Who’s to say what the picture should look like? Most of the time we’re inspired to be our best based on the opinion of others. We look to others to tell us what picture perfect is. If we’re honest, that gets exhausting because the picture is always changing. What if there was a better way? What if God has a different idea for what your picture should look like?
1. What was your biggest takeaway from this week’s sermon? Why?
2. Describe a time in your life when you wanted something to be “picture perfect.”
3. Read Mark 7:14-23. Man looks at the outward appearance, but God looks at the heart. Why does God place such great importance on what is in our hearts rather than on our outward appearance, habits or rituals?
4. Jesus called the religious people of his day hypocrites. Have you ever heard anyone say that about someone who is religious? Maybe you’ve thought that before. Why do people sometimes feel this way about religious people even today?
5. In Mark 7:20-23 we see what comes out of a heart not focused on what God cares about. Can you think of how your heart changes when your focus shifts? How do you keep your heart sensitive to God’s Spirit?
6. Why is it difficult to believe that God only cares about the condition of our hearts and not what we appear to be on the outside? What is it about our culture or relationships that make this hard to understand?
7. Read James 4:6. We see that God cares about a heart of humbleness. How can we examine our own hearts to see the rebellion or pride that lurks there?
8. Describe the most servant-hearted person you know. In which area of your life would you like to be like this person? In what ways do you find yourself most often pretending to be something you’re not? How can you be more authentic on the job? In your community? In your church?
1. Is there a practical way this week you can pursue the things that God cares about?
2. Talk about the areas you pretend to be something else in your life. Share one specific area you’d like for this group to hold you accountable to change over the next few weeks or months.
Life Group Announcements
CHRISTMAS IN JULY | Giving Joy is our annual Christmas Community Outreach to local parents who otherwise might not be able to provide Christmas gifts for their children by hosting a free “shopping” experience including gift wrapping. We are accepting new toy or monetary donations all month long. Please bring your donations to the Sending Zone. Donation suggestions: theJourneyOC.net/givingjoy
PRAYER PARTNERS | We want 200 people to pray for the Journey each week of 2016! Will you take part in the greatest work a body of believers could undertake? Come anytime and stay for whatever fits your schedule. | Every Tuesday | 6:30-8:00 pm | Orange City Campus | Would you like serve? Contact Cindy Jacobson by calling 386.775.3500 or emailing CAREnet@theJourneyOC.net
ONLINE GIVING | Your financial support and generosity enables us to create the quality environments that you and your family enjoy on a weekly basis, and allows us to reach more people with the Gospel of Jesus Christ. More information: theJourneyOC.net/give
TAKE THE 2C CHALLENGE | We're not taking a vacation from our mission this summer! Each week of our upcoming sermon series, It's Not Like That, we have a chance to join with 2C to help those hurting in our communities.
Week 1 | Drop off one new unwrapped toy(s) or monetary donations during the next five weeks for Giving Joy's Christmas in July!
Week 2 | Serve with Blessed Assurance on July 16
Week 3 | Sign up to serve next month with the Bridge or Mobile Ministry
Week 4 | Stop by the Sending Zone to learn more about 2C after the weekend service.
Week 5 | Participate in the Manna Bag "Make and Take" on July 30/31!