The real God, the God who reveals Himself to us throughout Scripture, is infinite in power and can do the impossible — and Jesus invites us to trust in Him. But what happens when the God of the impossible chooses not to do the impossible? This is not a question of doubt, but of discouragement. How do we overcome the discouragement that often paralyzes us from moving forward?
- Share something that happened this week that discouraged you. Why did this discourage you?
- At times, we have all felt discouraged and doubted God’s timing. When have you asked yourself, “If there truly is a powerful God, why has He not done something to change or fix my situation?”
- The issue of discouragement is not “Can God?” but “Why God?” When have you felt that God has shown up too late or not provided an answer to your prayers, even though you had a positive attitude, prayed and believed He is all powerful?
- Read John 11:1-6. Why do you believe there are times when God does not answer our prayers?
- Read Matthew 6:30-33 with particular attention to verse 32. How much do you think about, “What if?” What is your general reaction? As a child of God, how would your inner reaction change if instead of “What if?” you said, “What can I trust God to do?”
- When you think you know, discouragement grows. Think about those really big challenges in your life. You’ve accepted that you don’t know what will happen and that makes you anxious. God know exactly what will happen, but He’s not giving you the details. Read Jeremiah 29:11. Read Romans 8:28. Can you say with certainty, “God knows, and will work out everything for my good”?
- What’s the most difficult circumstance in your life right now? It could be a persistent problem, a wrecked relationship, a perplexing question, or an agonizing decision. Can you be open enough to share that with the group?
- Trusting in what God knows allows you to rest in what you don’t know. Pastor James asked, “What would it look like if you really believed that God is all-wise and has actually allowed that set of circumstances into your life for His purposes? Share your thinking with the group.
Life Group Announcements
GIVING JOY DONATIONS | We are collecting new toys for Giving Joy, our annual Christmas Community Outreach. You can bring your unwrapped toys for children birth through teens. Please drop your donations in the marked boxes around campus. theJourney.cc/givingjoy | All month long
THE BRIDGE FOOD DRIVE | We are collecting non-perishable food items to stock our shelves. Donation suggestions include: Spaghetti noodles, Pasta Sauce, Canned Fruits & Vegetables, Boxed Macaroni & Cheese, Tuna, Rice and Peanut Butter & Jelly. Please bring your donations to the Sending Zone. More information: theJourney.cc/2C | All month long
PRAYER PARTNERS | Will you take part in the greatest work a body of believers could undertake? Come anytime and stay for whatever fits your schedule. | Tuesday, November 15 and Tuesday, December 6 | 6:30-8:00 pm | Orange City Campus | Would you like serve? Contact Cindy Jacobson by calling 386.775.3500 or emailing CAREnet@theJourney.cc
ONLINE GIVING | Your financial support and generosity enables us to create the quality environments that you and your family enjoy on a weekly basis, and allows us to reach more people with the Gospel of Jesus Christ. | More information: theJourney.cc/give
NEW WEBSITE AND APP | The Journey's new website and app are up and running. Our new URL is theJourney.cc. Our new site was not only designed to look great, but to make it simple to learn more about our church and how to get connected. And, our new Journey App is available for download on all major app stores (Apple, Android, Window and Amazon). Just search for the Journey - Florida. Look for the Journey logo. You can't miss it. You will now be able to watch sermons, get information, read stories and articles and give. The new app is a big step forward in the way we communicate. Please download and enjoy!